The MHCC hosted it’s annual 2018 Economic Forum Breakfast at the Detroit Athletic Club this past Friday. We welcomed a full house of members and guests. The morning featured knowledgeable guest speakers and panelists who shared a number of stats related to HBE’s and suppliers. The speakers included:
- Dr. Ruben Martinez, Director, Julian Samora Research Institute, Michigan State University
- Bret Hardy, Director Head of MOPAR Purchasing & Supplier Quality, FCA,
- Terry Nadeau, Vice President Global Procurement, Johnson Controls
- Tony Tomczak, Chief Procurement Officer, DTE Energy
The panel discussion was moderated by Armando Ojeda, President & CEO, Cadena LLC.
Here are a few key takeaways from the economic forum:
- Latinas have the highest growth in firms among women, but experience more challenges accessing capital.
- Mentoring will be key for HBEs to grow and succeed.
- Latinos have the highest rate of new businesses in the nation.
“It was a very nice event. I’m glad I was able to attend. One takeaway that I appreciated from the panel was: Be adaptable: The environment we operate in is changing rapidly and that means that the way we all do business and who we do business with is changing.” – Angela D. Henderson, Sr. Purchasing Manager, Supplier Diversity, Ford
“The Panel of Procurement Executives was insightful and their advice simple and concise giving confidence to minority businesses on how to do business with corporations and grow with them.” – Maria J. Baron, Vice President, J.P. Morgan Private Bank
“The panel was great! I liked the advise of being prepared. Understand what your potential customer is doing so you can be ready to support how you can add value for them.” – Courtney Morales Hofmann, President & CEO, MCM Staffing, LLC
MHCC is pleased to have hosted such an informative and value rich forum. We’d like to extend our gratitude to our generous sponsors. We thank DTE Energy for being the lead event sponsor.
Our Next Events
8th Annual Diversity Matchmaker
MHCC is excited to announce its 8th Annual Diversity Matchmaker and HBE Expo. This nation-wide recognized forum serves as a platform for corporations who want to engage with Production HBE/MBE/WBE suppliers. Buyers from from over 40 corporations as well as over 85 HBE/MBE/WBEs are expected to attend.
Thursday June 7, 2018
8:00 am – NOON
The Henry Hotel
Tercer Jueves Business Networking Event
Thursday May 17, 2018
for our Tercer Jueves Business Networking Event
at Next Energy!
5:30 PM – 7:30 PM
Guest Speaker: Jeff Stout, Executive Director, Research, Technology and New Mobility – North America Yanfeng Automotive Interiors. Register Today!
MAY 2018 FEATURED MEMBER
The MHCC is proud to feature the accomplishments of our members and corporate members. Congratulations to this month’s featured member, Anita Quillen, CEO, Diversified Engineering and Plastics.
Diversified Engineering and Plastics
As a Hispanic woman owned business we pride ourselves on providing a one of a kind experience and plan to expand into other market segments that will highlight our expertise.
We are progressive, energetic and driven to continually improve. Through feedback-we evolve, adapt and take pride in delivering results for our partners. We incorporate loyalty, compassion and trust to build better products and services. We exist to enhance the lives of all our stakeholders by providing innovative solutions.
SAVE THE DATE!
2018 MHCC & Affiliates Events Calendar
- May 8 – 2018 MMPC (MMSDC) “Charting the Course: Fusing Power and People”, Cobo Center, Detroit, MI
- May 17 – Monthly Tercer Jueves Business Networking Events*,**
- June 7 – Annual Diversity Matchmaker, The Henry, Dearborn
- June 18 – Sushi, Salsa & Soul, Fifth Third Bank
- June 19-21 – WBEN National Conference and Business Fair, Cobo Center
- July 19 – Monthly Tercer Jueves Business Networking Events*,**
- August 13 – Annual MHCC Golf Outing, Greystone, The Orchards and Cherry Creek, Shelby Township
*Tercer Jueves dates are subject to change or cancellation. Please check mhcc.org prior to the event.
**Tercer Jueves events are sponsored by Pure Michigan Business Connect.
Industry experts discuss trends in technology and how they are changing the industries we know today.
The event is one of the best attended and received SAA events of the year, as it provides suppliers access to purchasing executives of the leading six automakers.
Apply for an exclusive opportunity for WBENC-Certified Women’s Business Enterprises (WBEs) to showcase your company.
Michigan Hispanic Chamber of Commerce – Your access to unique business opportunities and meaningful connections.